Monday, July 8, 2013

Questions

Three months ago, I lived in a world of ignorance.  A world where I could trust the government to look out for us, a world where food on grocery store shelves was safe, and a world full of cupcakes and licorice, pizza and pasta.  Unbeknownst to me was really a world of lies, deception, and hidden truth.  I had no idea three months ago what I would soon discover and where it would lead.  On April 6th, my husband Ryan, and co-author of upHill battle, decided to try low carb again.  We tried this approach several years back and living on bacon, eggs, sausage and tuna isn't all its cracked up to be.  While I lost some weight, I didn't really feel healthy eating all that processed meat.  So we decided that this time, we would be smarter about it and eat more vegetables.  That night was like our 'last supper".   We binged on bad carbs knowing we would be giving them up the next day.  Crackers, bread, candy...  whatever was in the house.  We drank diet soda and sweet wine, we even ordered pizza at 11pm.  Not the smartest thing to do, but we sure had fun with it.

The next day we began keeping track of our carbs with an app, and took on the daunting process of cleaning out our pantry.  So many things were now "off limits"!  It was extremely restrictive, but almost necessary to purge our systems.  Somewhere between two and three weeks into our low carb diet, we discovered the Paleo lifestyle and our world was forever changed.  We each began reading.  One book led to another and another and the things we discovered will literally shock you to your core.  We will try to post about each topic individually, as there is so much to cover.  However, what I began finding myself asking a lot was, why?  I felt like a two year old asking, why, why, why?  I had to know the answers to these questions. 

Why do people choose organics, or why did they exist in the first place?  Are they really that different than conventional produce?
Why do people avoid artificial sweeteners or artificial colorings?  Are they really unsafe?

Why had I always thought I couldn't survive without bread? 
When I began digging for answers to these questions, I was stunned.  The reason that I couldn't imagine my world without bread in it was because it's addictive.  It doesn't keep you full and it actually makes you crave more of it.  When I find out the WHY behind something, things suddenly make sense and when that light bulb goes off, it's much more likely to stick with me.  I have learned more about the food industry and the government’s role in all of this, than I ever thought possible.  Long story short, the FDA hides information, Big Food profits from selling it to us, and then Big Pharma profits from us when it inevitably makes us sick.  Does that sound wrong to anyone else?  Most doctors DO NOT talk about diet.  Why?  Because they don't learn about it in medical school.  They don't learn about altering diet as a form of medicine, it's all about what pills can we prescribe?  Because that's how they get paid!

I used to think only rich, snobby people bought organics and that it was a waste of money!  When I learned WHY they really buy them, I understand it, and now I do, too!  I want to support local farmers and organic growers.  We have it so backwards in this country!  Did you know (I didn't) that organics cost more, for a variety of reasons, but mostly because of the hoops they have to jump through and the amount of paperwork and costs of certification it takes to be labeled organic and prove their produce was grown without chemicals!  Back in the day, there was nothing called organic, it was just food.  And that is how it still in is in over 65 countries world wide.  Organics are just food and GMO's and artificial ingredients must be labeled.  Think about it a moment...  Who benefits financially from healthy people?  Processed food industry?  Doctors?  Pharmaceutical companies?

So many diseases and ailments are DIET related.  But people don't want to hear that.  That's not an easy fix.  They would rather not change anything in their diet and just take a pill for it and suffer the side effects, whatever that may be.  They want to keep enjoying their donuts and pizza and pasta...
It really is overwhelming when you think about it.  But, trust me when I say, it is completely worth it.  Making a lifestyle change this dramatic is not easy.  There can be withdrawal symptoms.  That's how you know you were addicted!  They were literally controlling you and your weight.  The first two weeks are the hardest.  And if you can make it 30 days, you are home free.  The key really is in how you view it.  Paleo is not a quick fix to lose weight and go off.  It's about getting, being, and staying healthy for your entire life and the benefits are nothing short of miraculous.  
I know you are all dying to know more, so be patient with us and we try to organize all the information and pass it along.  But if you are really thirsty for knowledge and can't wait, check our suggested reading material and links to some of our favorite websites. 
Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment